Thursday 14 March 2013

Ah, Memory Lane, one of my favourite lanes to walk...

Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you'll know the big story of the week - the election of the new pope.  Sorry to start off on a tangent, but I have to say that it's been interesting to watch how it all takes place and how much media attention there has been on this - particularly because it's a religious thing and western media does not usually take well to religion.

Anyway, being in the news I've been watching a lot of it and I've really enjoyed it - partly because it was interesting, yes, but more so because it brought back a lot of cool memories for me.

My wife and I backpacked through parts of Europe two summers ago, and one of our stops was of course Vatican City, St. Peter's Square and Basilica, and the Sistine Chapel.  Seeing it all on the news is cool in general, but having been there makes it so much more interesting.  Every TV shot is a memory - "Oh yeah, remember when we were there?"  "Remember when we had lunch at this spot?"  "Remember when we saw the pope here?"  etc...

The coolest part for me over the past week was seeing the Sistine Chapel again.  You're not allowed to take pictures or video inside the chapel, so my wife and I spent an extra long time in there trying to memorize as much of it as we could.  Then seeing the pictures of the cardinals in the chapel this week just brought it all back...so cool...


In the square 


The inside of St. Peter's Basilica


We did not actually plan to see Pope Benedict but we found out he was holding a 'General Audience' when we were there, so we waited around.  He drove past us, 8-10 feet away, then we heard him speak a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment