Thursday 18 April 2013

God's perfection

I was originally going to write about the crazy events of this week - being the News Director at a Christian radio station and covering the amber alert in Peterborough County on Sunday, the Boston bombings on Monday, and the explosion in Texas yesterday.  What a crazy week.  But everyone is talking about those, and something else happened to me today that helped put those a bit more into perspective.

Yesterday during my show, I talked about what I'd read in my devotions earlier that day - James 1:2, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, when you face trials of many kinds...etc."  I also talked about verse 5, where it says to ask for wisdom, and how I always forget that part.  I was simply sharing what I had read and what hit me...and to be honest it's something most Christians already know.  The cool part came today when I checked my email. I have some friends who are going through a very tough situation, something more difficult and painful than I could ever imagine.  They were writing with an update of more bad news, but mentioned that they had heard me talk about James 1 and being joyful during troubles and asking for wisdom.  They found it an encouragement in what had been another tough day.

After seven and a half years of doing Christian radio, what still absolutely amazes me is God's timing.  We as DJ's never know who is listening and when.  When we share something on the air, we don't know that "John in Owen Sound" is listening at that exact moment, and this is exactly what he needs to hear.  But God's timing and planning over-arches everything.  Yesterday, He allowed me to read that passage in my devotions.  He knew/planned exactly what time I would share it during my show.  He orchestrated it that those friends would have their radio on at that moment, and would be listening.

Perhaps you have to be in radio to understand why I'm so amazed.  Here's the perspective - when I do my show for two and a half hours every day, I'm in a room all by myself.  It's easy to forget how many are listening, and that God can use your words to change lives.  And yet, that's exactly what happens.  God takes the music, the teaching programs, and even what we say as DJ's, and uses it all for so much more than we could ever imagine.

It's humbling to think about.  It's an honour to be a part of.  And it's wonderful to be reminded about three incredible things about God:

1) He uses us at any and all moments
2) His timing is perfect
3) He is working in all situations - my friends' struggles, the Boston bombings, the Texas explosion...ALL situations


No comments:

Post a Comment