Monday 14 April 2014

Jim Flaherty

The details have been announced for Jim Flaherty's funeral - it's this Wednesday, and it's a state funeral.  I'm really glad it's a state funeral, he deserves it.  Although I'd never met this man, I respected him and felt a unique connection to him.

It's hard to be in a position of leadership.  But to be in charge of an entire nation's finances, with all the critics (as you definitely can't - and won't - please everyone)...that takes a strong person.  I always thought Jim Flaherty handled himself with class, even in the face of criticism.

When the world economy crashed in 2008, it was Jim Flaherty's guidance and leadership that kept Canada on the straight and narrow.  Yes, there were others involved of course, but he was the head.  Canada's was one of the strongest economies in the world.  While almost everyone else's was collapsing, Canada stayed strong.  Other nations even started adopting Canadian policies.  That says a lot about our country's financial policies and practices, put in place by our leadership.

I mentioned at the top that I felt a bit of a personal connection to Jim Flaherty, despite never having met him.  As the News Director here at LIFE - and the sole newsperson for 6 years - it was my responsibility to cover every election, every budget, every financial update, etc...  I would be done my shift for the day, and would come back in to cover a budget update.  I've watched Flaherty deliver every budget since I started at LIFE in late 2005.  I've watched him give dozens of speeches, answer questions tactfully, and go about the duties of one of Canada's highest ranking politicians with class and dignity.  His character made me respect him.

Mr. Flaherty, I know you resigned before your passing, but I will miss watching you during the next budget update.  As a proud Canadian, I thank you for your guiding hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment