Friday 6 June 2014

You can't have it both ways...

The story out of Moncton, New Brunswick this week has been absolutely devastating.  Three RCMP officers killed, two others severely wounded, and an entire town gripped by fear and locked in their homes.  No individual, family, or community should ever have to go through that.  My heart goes out to every person affected.

As I've been watching this story unfold over the past couple of days though, something odd has jumped out at me.  On the news, I've been seeing signs on businesses and store fronts.  I've seen it all over facebook and twitter.  I've heard it said in conversation.  "Pray for Moncton".

I 1,000% agree.  I think we all would.  What strikes me as odd, though, is that people are turning to prayer.  It's a great thing.  But our North American society - generally speaking - has become anti-religious, anti-God, anti-prayer...anti-anything to do with religion.  Laws are passed to keep religion and God out of our schools, workplaces, public places, etc.  Those who do speak up about their faith are often ridiculed and laughed at...or at risk of being suspended or losing their jobs.

Then a major tragedy like this hits, and the first thing we do is turn to prayer.  And I don't mean Christians, I mean our society.  "We offer our thoughts and prayers to the families affected".  How many times have you heard a politician say that?  People post on Facebook reminding others to "Pray for Moncton".  It's the big message everywhere that everyone is echoing.  But give it a few weeks.  Once this tragedy fades from our minds, it'll abruptly be back to "no religion in our society, thank you very much."

If we as a human race instinctively turn to God in our pain and weakness, shouldn't we also turn to Him when things are good?  Wouldn't a God who created us want to know us at ALL times, the good and the bad?  We can't just call out when we need Him, take His help to work through the pain, and then ban Him from our lives when we don't need Him anymore (or think we don't).  Talk about an abusive relationship.

Sorry God.  That's pretty mean of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment