Friday 17 October 2014

Being a dad...second time around

My new son is just over three weeks old...and growing like a weed.  What's the deal kid??  Slow down already!  My goodness, the newborn stage is so short...

Fatherhood.  Awesome.  I love coming home and seeing my 22 month old.  He's fun.  He's happy (usually).  I absolutely love watching him learn about the world around him - new words everyday, how things work, the highest stair he can jump from, etc...  He teaches me patience, innocence, genuine excitement, trust, selfishness (yes, selfishness), and what it means to love unconditionally.  The most heartbreaking thing though?  Watching him cry.  Can't stand it.  But I know that sometimes it's necessary for discipline, or it's part of the learning process (I.e., when he realizes, 'Oh, that stair was TOO high').

And now, there's a second one.  I know it's only been three weeks, but it's funny how much you learn the first time around.  I'm much more relaxed with this newborn.  I've learned to try to REALLY cherish the time that he's young and small, because it flew faster than I could ever imagine with our first born.  I've learned to just sit with him and enjoy.  Just stare.  Take him in.

I've also learned that with two kids so close in age, sleep can be a rare commodity, and diapers begin to take over life.  Even still, I wouldn't trade it for anything.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Phil,

      If your 'boo hoo' comment is over my sleep and diapers comment, please know that I am not complaining at all. It was simply an observation, something that I'd noticed over the first few weeks.

      Thanks for your thoughts and for reading my blog. Hope you're having a good day brother. Blessings to you.

      Delete