Tuesday 22 October 2013

Bittersweet

I've spent the last 6 days cooped up inside my house.  Oh the fall season and it's sickness!  It's been a bittersweet few days.

The bitter:

- I'm going stir-crazy!  I love to be active and love to be outside, so sitting inside for 6 days trying to get better...it's a tough thing for a guy like me.

- I've had to miss a few things I'd like to do - get-togethers with friends, small group, etc

- While you might think, "Oh, six days at home, that's awesome!  It's almost like a vacation!", that's so far from the truth.  There are several reasons: 1) I'm constantly thinking about work, and everything that needs to get done...and with every day that I'm at home, I'm thinking about how much more I'll need to do because I'm falling even more behind.  2) As mentioned above, I haven't done anything - fun or work around the house.  For some that's a great vacation, not so much for me - again, stir-crazy!  3) I've been feeling terrible.  Hence why they're sick days - because you're sick.


The sweet:

- I've spent 6 days at home with my wife and son.  And while I can't do much with them, it's been nice to enjoy their company for an extended period of time.  Despite all the horribleness of the 'bitter' above, this part has been really nice.

- I have a newfound respect for my wife.  I always knew she worked hard at home while I'm at work, but sometimes it's easy to forget just how much she does.  This past week I've seen it first hand - taking care of our son and keeping him entertained (which in itself can be a huge task), keeping the house tidy, making meals, running errands, etc...  She's keeps the house chugging along.


I'm feeling better and am planning to be in at work tomorrow.  So long bitter!...but I'll miss the sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment