Friday 9 October 2015

Thanksgiving

We had a great talk-back show today on The All New Breakfast Club.  The question was, "What is something that someone has done for you that you will always be thankful for?"  We got a ton of fantastic stories...lots of tear-jerkers....like a guy who's dad bought him goalie pads when he was a kid, and years later he found out that his dad had to hitch-hike to work the next two weeks because he couldn't afford the gas to drive.  Amazing sacrifices.

It got me thinking about some things that people have done for me in my life.  Here's a few.

As a kid, my brother always stuck up for me.  He was my older brother, and protected me from bullies in the playground.  I was always so humbled by that.  When he and I went on a vacation years later and a person disrespected me for no reason, my brother stuck up for me again.  My brother is awesome.

When I took my first extended trip away from home, it was tough on my parents.  I was going for 3-4 weeks, I was flying by myself, and it was a mission trip, so there was an element of danger.  They let me go though.  When I arrived and opened up my suitcase, I found a tract that they had slid in with some hand written notes of encouragement and love for those time I might get down.  That tract meant so much to me.  I've never forgotten it, and I still have it in a box in my garage (I hope!).

When my wife and I got married, we hit a financial rough patch.  We were struggling in September 2009.  But three times in one month, money showed up.  Once it was our pastor with a rent cheque.  Another time it was $250 in grocery gift cards (I still don't know who gave us that).

A few weeks ago when my car died and my family needed a vehicle, we were struggling to find anything decent in our price range.  My uncle heard about what were going through, and wrote us a cheque that doubled our car shopping budget.  It was incredible.

These are just four simple stories that come to mind.  But when someone does something nice for you, you never forget it.  And you are encouraged to pay it forward.  I know I am.

So, what has someone done for YOU that you will never forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment