Friday 20 November 2015

A decade later

This was a big week for me.  10 years.  10 years that I've been at LIFE 100.3.  I started November 18, 2005 by delivering a newscast at noon just to help cover when someone was sick.  10 years later, I'm still here, and loving it.  If you're a new listener, here's a synopsis of my history at LIFE.  If you've been listening from when I started, well first, thank you!  And for you, this is a behind-the-scenes of my past decade.  (If you don't want to read this whole thing, just skip to the last couple of paragraphs.)

I remember starting out.  I remember my first newscast.  Hearing myself on the radio and thinking, "This is so cool!"  I remember being super nervous and doing the best I could to impress the bosses.  I remember finishing the newscast, and Scott Jackson saying to me, "Hey, could you come in Monday morning and do our news again?"  And so I did.  Then I was asked to come in on Tuesday...then Wednesday.  And for 5 months I literally worked day to day, week to week; Scott would ask me at the end of every week, "Hey, can you help us out again next week?"  Finally in March of 2006, I was asked, "Do you just want the job?"

You would think my immediate answer would be "YES!!"  But it wasn't.  I had to go home and think about it.  I didn't want to do news.  I hated news.  I couldn't care less about it (at the time).  But I also looked at how many doors God had opened for me to get to that point, and it was almost impossible for me to turn down the job offer.  God kept orchestrating one thing after another, and I knew I had to say yes, even if I wasn't super excited about it.

It took some getting used to, but it wasn't long before I start to like news...and no one was more surprised than me.  Even though I still really wanted to be a DJ, I was somewhat enjoying connecting with politicians, attending press conferences, and researching, writing, and delivering newscasts.  I took ownership of the news department and worked hard to make it sound good.  But it was tough slugging.  There were days when I just wanted to quit.  When I just got frustrated and would think, "What am I doing with my life?  I don't mind news, but it's not what I really want to do!".  I would wonder if I would ever get the opportunity to be a full-time DJ, or if I should just move on.  I was subbing for DJ's when they were sick, but that was only a few days to a few months at a time.  I wanted the real deal, my own show.  There were days of arguments with management, and believe it or not, there was even a time where I almost lost my job because my attitude just wasn't right.  But what they say is true - attitude is everything.  I prayed, changed my attitude, and worked hard.  And that was the trigger I needed.

After six years of doing news and sub-DJ'ing, I was finally given my first real DJ shift - afternoon drive.  That's a big show for your first gig.  I also got bumped to News Director.  And after about a year of doing that, I was given the Ministry Relations portfolio as well, which I've really enjoyed.  It's been great to connect with pastors and hear what their churches are doing to reach out, and see how we can work together to spread the good news.

And now for the last year and a half, I've been back to mornings, but this time as a DJ, host of The All New Breakfast Club.  I can honestly say that this is the most fun that I have had at LIFE (and I've been having fun since the beginning, so I'm in a pretty good spot right now).  I enjoy coming in to work.  Todd and I end up spending most mornings laughing, both on and off the air.  How can you complain about a job where you spend half of your 8-hour workday laughing?  The rest of the day is taken up by preparing for upcoming shows, connecting with pastors for Ministry Relations, and overseeing the news department, and as I mentioned, I enjoy both of those.

Over the past 10 years, I've lived my life out on the air.  I've gotten engaged, married, had a kid, then a second, now a third (my wife is pregnant).  I've talked about my personal struggles with temptation, doubt, and feeling far from God.  Listeners, I have prayed with you, cried with you, laughed and struggled together with you.  And you have done the same with me.  I have had the incredible privilege of being part of your lives, and hopefully ministering to you and bringing God into your lives - and again, you have done that for me.  You have made this job what it is - fantastic.  You have made it fun.  You have made it worth the struggles and difficult times.  You have...made it.

I got into radio to do Christian radio.  I'm blessed to have been able to do this for 10 years.  I remember in March of 2006 when I accepted the offer of employment.  I signed the papers in Scott's office, and we ended off by praying.  I specifically remember him saying, "God, please let this be a long-term and fruitful stay for Tim at LIFE."  10 years later, I'd say God answered that prayer.

Thank you listeners.  Thank you Scott and LIFE staff.  Thank you God.  It's been a great 10 years.

2 comments:

  1. So it this a goodbye? Did you get a job as a fire fighter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Tim! We are so blessed to have you on the air reaching people and ministering to us. God has indeed blessed you. Keep up the great work you do!

    ReplyDelete