Tuesday 29 March 2016

Milestones

How do you deal with those major milestones in your life, and specifically, in your kids' lives?  Milestones are great of course, but they can be bittersweet too.  How do you preserve the positive memories and not linger on what is now over?

As our third child is just a few weeks away from arriving, my wife and I are busy getting our house in order to make sure everything is ready.  Yesterday we were given bunk beds by some friends (thanks Dave and Wendy!).  Last night was the first night our boys have ever slept in the same room, and the first night our youngest son has slept in a bed instead of a crib.  It was two milestones, and two birds with one stone.  A great moment to be sure, but as my wife and I walked out of their room after putting them to bed, we exchanged a look of "Oh this is so great!...but I'm a bit sad at the same time..."

Sad only because your kids grow up so fast.  We took pictures and videos, and we'll remember that night.  But how did it come so quickly?  I find myself asking that question more and more lately.  I try to take distinct mental notes, clear mental snapshots, to make sure I remember those moments.  Even with those though, the memories begin to fade with time.  That's why the pictures and video are important.

A friend told me that perhaps a good way to deal with the quickening pace of life is to look forward to what's coming.  Instead of being sad about what's now over, look forward to the big moments (first day of school, first girlfriend/boyfriend, graduation, etc) and celebrate when they arrive.  It's good advice.

As I write, my wife has just texted me to say both my boys had a great sleep.  On to the next chapter :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that my daughters are all grown up (29 and 27 this year!) and I love the banter between us. BUT, when I dream of them, they are 6 and 4 years old. A time of discovery and when I was still pretty central in their lives. Enjoy every stage and remember the quarrels too, because they become the instant joke among you. (One daughter has huge hands and the other likes to help the cat clean itself---you had to be there!)

    ReplyDelete