Tuesday 28 February 2012

Where's the time?

It's crazy how busy life gets, isn't it?  Work, school, volunteering, church activities, sports, driving the kids around, meetings, cooking, cleaning, spending time with friends and family, homework/helping the kids with homework, chores, errands...just to name a few.  And when we finally DO have a minute to stop, either we're so tired we don't want to do anything, or we feel like we're wasting time because we're used to being so busy.

Sound familiar?

So how in the midst of all that, are we supposed to fit in spending time with God?  It's like we're already stretched to the max with the busyness of everyday life, there just does not seem to be 10 minutes anywhere to do our devotions...except maybe when we're laying in bed at night, just barely keeping our eyes open as we're reading the bible or praying; that, or we're thinking of all the things we have to do tomorrow.  Well no biggie, God understands, right?

No, the plain truth is - it IS a biggie.  I've been learning this a lot so far in 2012.  Just to set the record straight, this is not meant as a preachy thing.  It's more of "this is what Tim Maassarany is learning, and I hope it helps you too."  Why do you think I can list all those things above?  Cause busyness is usually my biggest excuse too.  Yes, even we Christian radio DJ's can struggle with a daily quiet time sometimes.

A few weeks ago at a Superbowl party I got into a discussion about this with a friend, and he completely challenged me.  He came straight out and said it - "Tim if you're not spending time with God everyday - even just 10-minutes each day for the most important thing in your life - then you need to go back to high school; go back to youth group."  He hit me square in the face with that one.  He's right, that's the stuff that was pounded into me in youth group, the importance of spending time daily with God.  That's the foundation.  Now that I'm an adult, that should be a well established practice.  He was basically telling me to grow up and stop making excuses.

Then yesterday Charles Stanley (on LIFE at 12:30) was talking about the same thing.  He said when we become too busy - or THINK we are too busy - to spend time with God, we're falling right into Satan's trap of lies, deception, and distraction.  He said Satan is always trying to distract us from God, and what better way than busyness?

Both of these hit me big time.  In 2012, I've really been making a more concerted effort to be consistent with this.  Mike at the superbowl party nailed it - no more excuses.  It's time to get serious about the most important thing in our lives.  We can't do that if we don't spend enough time with God to really get to know Him.

Busyness is the worst excuse of all, and yet so many of us use that one.  Enough's enough.  If Christ is what my life is all about, then I'm going to get serious.  And not later.  NOW.

You with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment