Thursday 12 September 2013

Summer highlight

At the beginning of this summer I blogged a picture of what I was super excited about for this summer - lots and lots of kayaking!  However, my summer ended up taking a very different turn than that, and I was only able to get out about 5 or 6 times all summer (which was far less than I wanted).

One day after that blog post, I went for three-part interview to become a volunteer firefighter with Oro-Medonte.  A few days later I got the good news - I had been accepted!  BUT, it was going to be a long summer of studying and training, with a test at the end.  And essentially, that was my summer.  Most of my free hours were spent reading, and I was in training about twice a week - one of those days usually on the weekend.  It made for a long summer with long weeks, and as mentioned, I didn't get to do much of what I wanted like kayaking and day-long road trips...but I had my test at the end of the summer and it was all worth it in the end because I officially got on with the department last week!

It was a relief, and a reminder that if you want something, you have to work for it.  Yes, I missed out on a lot of the activities I was hoping to do this summer, but I think it was a pretty good tradeoff...



My son is pretty happy about it too

No comments:

Post a Comment