Monday 31 December 2012

2012 reflections

Can't believe it's already New Year's Eve.  Where did 2012 go?  Actually, I've been asking that question a few times this year.  When we hit March, I thought, "How have we gone through 2 months already?"  Then At the end of summer..."What, seriously?  Didn't summer just start??"  And now it's the last day of the year and I feel like we should only be in March, maybe April...crazy how time flies...

I think it's an important exercise to take a look back at your year, and thank God for the blessings.  We used to do this at New Year's family gatherings and I thought it was corny when I was a kid.  I've since changed my tune.  If you don't look back at your blessings, you forget what God has done.  You're unappreciative.  AND you won't have enough faith the next time you hit a problem because you've forgotten what He's carried you through in the past.

If you've read my blog (or you can scroll down quickly if not), you'll clearly see the biggest part of my year - the birth of my first child.  I remember when my wife told me in March that she was pregnant.  She gave me an unexpected gift when she picked me up from work, a pair of Toronto Maple Leaf baby socks.  It took me a second to clue in.  At first I thought, oh that's cool.  And then the revelation hit - "Oh wait!  Does this mean that you're...???"  What a cool moment.

Then a few months later, it was a rough point...just a few days before we were going to tell our families that my wife was pregnant, my aunt (who was always more like a grandmother to me) passed away.  The first very close person to me that I've lost in my life.  Didn't get to tell her our exciting news.  It was hard.  Shock for the first few days, lots of tears during the funeral.

Over the next few months we went through the ups, downs, and excitements of pregnancy...until December 12th.  Leonidas Alexander Sanad Maassarany was born on 12/12/12.  Not enough good things to say about this.  If you are a parent, you know what I'm talking about.  Words aren't adequate, so I'll leave it up to you to remember what it was like when you had your first born.  If you're not there yet, just wait.

Leonidas is amazing.  I just wish my Aunt Sisa got a chance to meet him.  A few things over Christmas sparked memories of her, and it was bit emotional.  I'm sure she's looking down at her honourary 'grandson' and smiling.

Thanks 2012.

Welcome 2013.  Just please don't go so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment