Friday 4 January 2013

How Satan Deceives


AJ the Wonderdog has inspired me.  I heard him talking about this a few days ago and I've decided to take on the challenge - read the bible in one year, chronologically.  I started today, a few days late, but I'm excited about it.  And I've already been hit with something new.

Today I read Genesis 1-3.  It was when Satan tempted Eve (chapter 3, verses 4 and 5) that hit me:  “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Satan did not lie when he told Eve she would know the difference between good and evil - in fact, that's exactly what happened - verse 22: And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil."

In every temptation, there is a shred of truth. That's how Satan can trick us so easily. And that's why temptation is so hard to resist.

When I'm angry at someone, Satan brings to mind all the things that annoy me about that person. When he tempts me to indulge in lust, drinking, gambling, smoking, etc., he tells me that it will feel so good (and that's especially powerful when I'm in a down spot). When he tells me to not give money to someone who needs it, he tells me that I don't have a lot of money to begin with and I can't really spare it.

None of those are lies. And yet falling for these half-truths just makes things so much worse - I become more angry; I feel worse after a 5 minute high of indulging; I feel greedy and guilty for not helping out someone in need.

Lesson for today - watch out for 'truths' from Satan.

1 comment:

  1. I am doing the bible in 90 days and I was struck by the very same thing. Good luck! I am on day 3 and so far so good, but then again I haven't made it to Leviticus yet. LOL.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete