Friday 25 January 2013

What does it for you?

This week I asked the question on air, what does it for you?  What anchors you in your Christian faith?

It's something I'm glad I have an answer to.  For me, it's nature.  I can't look around me, look at the intricacies of my body, look at how absolutely massive the universe is, and think that it's an accident.  And that thought keeps me rooted in my faith.

I'm sure there will be some who read this who think, "That's crazy!  It should be your faith, or that Christ died on the cross, or your personal experiences with God that root you in your faith!"  I wish it was that simple for me.  I'm that guy who questions everything - which is both a blessing and a curse.  It's hard for me to use any of those as my anchoring point.  For me it starts with nature, knowing that there had to be divine inspiration behind everything we see and don't see around us...that keeps me rooted and allows me to grow my relationship with Christ.

For those of you who are nature geeks like me, or want an example of what I'm talking about, my small group is working through a series on creation by Louie Gigglio, and it is fantastic.  One thing he talked about is the size of the Milky Way Galaxy.  If it were the size of North America, then our solar system would be the size of a quarter in comparison.  Think about that!  Craziness!  And then to think that ours is just one of literally countless of other galaxies out there (thousands, millions, BILLIONS)?  And each galaxy has billions of stars!! And each galaxy is thousands/billions of light years away!!!  Okay, I see I'm losing you.  Think about it this way - light travels around earth 7.5 times in one second, and 5.88 trillion miles a year.  If another galaxy is 16 million light years away for ours...well you do the math on how huge the universe is...  And then finally, to think that God holds the universe in his hand (Isaiah 40:12)....  Yep, my mind is blown again.

So back to my question - what does it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment