Friday 11 January 2013

Helping out...phew!!

Has this ever happened to you?  Or have you helped anyone out like this?

Last weekend I needed to take a last second trip up to Sault St. Marie.  Friday night I got home from work and scrambled to book a flight for early the next morning, get packed, get a dog-sitter, grab some dinner, and get a ride to the bus station to catch the last bus of the day down to Toronto.  The bus was leaving at 8:55pm, and I got there at 8:56...but it hadn't left yet!  I ran to the terminal to buy a ticket, but they told me it was too late and I'd have to buy one on the bus.  So I sprinted to the bus and jumped on seconds before he pulled out...only to be told they take cash, which I didn't have!  I asked the driver if I could check if my ride had some money.  She did, and with the bus driver honking at me to hurry up, I jumped back on the bus.

Phew, all was well!...or was it?  I gave my $11 to the bus driver to which he replied, "You're 85 cents short."  I couldn't believe my ears...  I could read the bus driver's face, it was, The bus is late and you're 85 cents short.  Either magically come up with 85 cents or get off the bus - now.

And that's when she came to my rescue.  A lady on the bus who saw me scrambling, out of breath, and hopelessly stuck, piped up, "How much are you short?"

"85 cents," I replied.

"I got it, don't worry," she said, as she reached into her wallet.

That was the biggest 85 cents of the past decade for me.  Such a small gesture, but so huge for me in a desperate situation.  I never even got her name, but I was so thankful!

To the unknown lady who helped me out, thank you.  And may this encourage you to pass it on and help someone out who is need - I know it encouraged me!

No comments:

Post a Comment