Thursday 17 January 2013

3D or not 3D, that is the question

My wife and I tried to go out to a movie last night.  We were excited because it was a night out, and because we had our sights set on a couple of great movies that we're both dying to see - The Hobbit and Life of Pi.

We arrived at the movie theatre only to find out that The Hobbit was only being shown in 3D.  We're not big fans of 3D (which I'll explain below), so we went to dinner then came back for the late showing of Life of Pi...only to discover that that too was only being shown in 3D!  So it was no movie for us, unfortunately.

Here's our beef with 3D.  For one thing, it's a lot more expensive than a regular movie.  But in addition, we both find that we walk out of the theatre with headaches at the end of the movie.  In fact, during the movie I sometimes have to take off my 3D glasses for a bit of a break - but then I miss part of the movie, and that's frustrating.

I am so confused on why they don't offer movies in both regular format, AND in 3D.  That way you get the choice.  The two movies we really wanted to watch on the big screen, and we couldn't watch either one!  Please tell me, is this only me?  Are my wife and I the minority here?  Are we just too old to appreciate 3D? Or is it that we don't go to the movies often enough, so when we do we're not used to it?

I figure the theatres do it for two reasons - because 3D is the 'latest and greatest' and people want it, but also because it's a money grab.  Thoughts?  It's it just us?


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two are too wimpy for 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I'm sure I saw listings for both 3D and non-3D for both...Which theatre did you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...too wimpy...ouch! Although that may just be the case.

    As for what theatre, we went to the Galaxy Cinemas in the south end of Barrie. Where did you see it as both 3D and non-3D?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it in one of the Barrie newspapers- it had two separate listings, 3D and not 3D. :|

      Delete