Friday 23 January 2015

Fun Christian music

I have to say, I'm impressed with the calibre of Christian music coming out these days.  Specifically, new styles of Christian music.

We've always been good at the worship music.  That's a given.  And the music that you wouldn't quite classify as 'worship' (as in, you likely wouldn't sing it on Sunday morning), but you can just tell by the style that it's Christian - Casting Crowns is a good example.

But this new 'fun' style of Christian music that's coming out, I'm loving it!  It's...well, it's just that - fun!  It gets you dancing!  Forgive this description, I'm not trying to sound negative here at all, I'm just not sure how else to describe it other than...it's music that you might hear on a secular radio station if it didn't have lyrics about God and Jesus.  Not because other Christian music is bad or poorly done, but simply because of the style.  These songs have a fun sound.  A bit like Mumford and Sons, but the Christian version.  Songs like:



Tim Neufeld, I'm Free



Mercyme, Greater


Rend Collective, My Lighthouse



Chris Tomlin, God's Great Dance Floor



One more Mercyme tune...Shake!!


This is not by any means a knock against any other style of Christian music.  I like lots of artists that don't fall into this style.  But it's just nice to see this newer, upbeat, fun music.  Often Christian music is serene, worshipful, melodic, soul-searching, which is fine.  But it's great to dance, move and shake to music with good lyrics that praise God!  In fact, Mercyme said that in creating their last album, their goal was make music that you couldn't sit down to while listening - it was just too much fun :).  What a great goal!

Alright, get your dance on!  Have fun!


2 comments:

  1. It's sad when you feel the need to reference a bad as the "Christian version of..."

    Why do christian bands feel the need to rip off popular secular acts? Why can't it just be "Tim Neufeld" instead of "The Christian version of ..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darryl,

    I sort of understand your point. I agree in that Christian bands should be able to - and usually can - stand on their own. But writing a comparison note is not meant in a derogatory way. It's more like they just have a similar sound. For me, I make comparisons because secular bands are often more well known than Christian bands (in the example above, Mumford and Sons vs Tim Neufeld). So for anyone who comes across this blog who likes Mumford and Sons' sound, they might now give Tim Neufeld a listen.

    Thanks for your thoughts, I hope that helps to clarify my writings :)

    ReplyDelete